The Catholic understanding of the person as loved by God, and as called to love, relationship and deeper community lies at the heart of why Marriage Care exists. For Catholics, as for many others, the call to marriage has a special place in this understanding. Informed by this perspective our vision dares to hope for a society in which all adults can build and sustain strong, fulfilling, healthy couple relationships.
It is our mission to share relationship skills and knowledge, and support couples and individuals in the best and worst of times in their relationships, regardless of their ability to pay.
Our ethos and values
We have a Christian ethos, by which we mean that:
- We acknowledge, with others, the value and uniqueness of every human being. Love, respect, forgiveness and the need to work for peace and justice underpin our work.
- Inspired by our Catholic heritage, we embrace and uphold the Christian vision of marriage as an example of a vocation of life and love. In Christian marriage this vocation is shaped by the whole-life commitment of a man and woman, whose love is open to embrace family life.
- We believe that at the heart of a healthy marriage is a relationship of astonishing power and richness, for the couple, their children, their wider circle of friends and relations and society.
- We believe that preventing couple separation and maintaining an intact family where healthy relationships can exist and grow in goodness is of fundamental importance to the flourishing of family life and society at large.
- We believe that supporting adult couple relationships is a matter of social justice and has the potential to make a real difference to children’s life chances, to adult wellbeing and to the emotional and economic health of our society. As such it is a positive response of care to relationship poverty.
We welcome as members of Marriage Care all who can subscribe to and share in this ethos, our values, our passion for relationship education and support and the difference it makes to people’s lives.