Getting married in a Catholic church
If you plan to get married in a Catholic church, we can provide the certificate of attendance that you will need in order to show that you have taken the time and effort to attend marriage preparation. Our Preparing Together course is designed to complement the preparation and accompaniment you will receive within your local parish. In addition to the material we share with you about building and sustaining relationships, we’ll also explore with you the importance and significance of the vows you make in church, before God, your family and friends, in terms of your religious and public commitment to each other. You may find A Guide to Getting Married within the Catholic Church helpful (produced in collaboration with the Archdiocese of Cardiff) and the version produce in collaboration with Wrexham Diocese A Guide to Getting Married within the Catholic Church as well as these resources from the Liturgy Office of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales.
Due to the impact of COVID-19 we are only taking bookings for face-to-face courses running from January 2021 onwards. Bookings for our Preparing Together Online course will be available from September 2020.
We are very pleased to have received an Imprimatur from Cardinal Vincent Nichols for our Preparing Together for couples marrying in the Catholic Church course.
Attend a Preparing Together day
Our marriage preparation day, Preparing Together, is a one-day workshop for groups of up to 12 couples. It is normally held on Saturdays (or over a series of evenings), organised by our local centres across England and Wales.
Enjoyable, revealing and rewarding, you’ll be encouraged to consider things you may not even be aware you need to think about. All in a safe, supportive environment, where no one is forced to share anything they are uncomfortable with.
During the day, you will learn how your relationship grows when you deal with important issues in a constructive and loving way. We cover a lot of ground, including:
- the importance of talking and listening
- how to negotiate and solve problems
- what you expect from your relationship
- the way your family and childhood influence how you interact with each other.
All to help you cultivate a fulfilling life-long relationship.
Who runs the day?
The day is led by facilitators selected and trained by Marriage Care to the highest standards. They have a wealth of experience in working with couples and receive regular ongoing training and support. Find out more here
Who can attend?
Any couple marrying in the Catholic Church can attend. Search for courses and book your place online here.
What do couples say about the day?
- “You don’t know you need it until you have attended!”
- “Incredibly useful. I will take a lot from this day into our future life together.”
- “Everybody participated but there was never any pressure.”
- “It was relaxed, informal and fun.”
- “Made me think more deeply about our relationship, the commitment we are making, how we can cope with issues that might test our relationship and how getting married in a Catholic church will make our special day even more special.”
- “I am more aware now of what marriage actually is and how important good communication is. Also helped me see where God is placed in my relationship.”
- “It gave me an insight into how I deal with conflict and I learned that I can change how I react.”
- “Every couple should attend one of these courses – it was surprisingly helpful.”
Is there a fee?
Marriage Care is a registered charity and all our services are delivered by trained volunteers. We charge a fixed fee for our Preparing Together course that contributes to the costs of the day, the resources you are given and the behind the scenes facilitator training and preparation. The price you will need to pay is indicated as part of the online booking process.
My partner isn’t keen on doing the day.
What can I say to persuade him/her to come along? Find the answer to this and other frequently asked questions on our Marriage preparation FAQs page.
Alternatively, read about our other marriage preparation course: FOCCUS