Saturday – keeping the romance alive
“You and I, it’s as though we have been taught to kiss in heaven and sent down to earth together, to see if we know what we were taught”. Boris Pasternak, Doctor Zhivago
Who wouldn’t like their relationship to read a little more like a romantic novel some days, not just on Valentine’s Day? But the reality of our busy, non-fiction lives filled with work, household chores and parenting keeps getting in the way. Remember how you felt when you first fell in love, that feeling of being special and having eyes only for each other? That is the romance phase of a relationship and it doesn’t last very long! In fact researchers estimate that it starts to fade after two years. However it is important that it doesn’t disappear altogether and we need to make a conscious effort to keep the romance alive in the relationship. After all, the romance phase is why you two are still together as it was during this stage that you laid down the foundations for the relationship
Here are some ideas for rekindling the romance:
- Hit the snooze button to buy yourself at least five minutes to cuddle before getting up each morning
- Dress up and go out to dinner and gaze into each other’s eyes during your conversation.
- Tell your partner that they look handsome or beautiful. We all have doubts about our looks and hearing that we are attractive to our partners is a very important part of creating a romantic relationship.
- Light a candle and put flowers on the table when having a meal at home together. It’s the mood not the food that creates a romantic scene.
- Spend a lazy Sunday afternoon watching your favourite romantic movies together.
- Make a playlist of your partner’s favourite songs and sneak it onto their iPod or phone.
- Have fun together – remember the activities you used to enjoy doing together and do them again.
Experienced relationship counsellors – Come and join us!
4 out of 5 clients would
Marriage Care to others.