Become a relationship counsellor

We are welcoming applications to become a relationship counsellor and join our Certificate in Relationship Counselling (CRC) training in April 2017. Our selection process for the CRC 2017 will take place in the autumn.

Qualified relationship counsellors may be able to volunteer with us via our ”Qualified Relationship Counsellor” route – please click here to find out more.

It is a great privilege, and requires specialist skill, to support people in relationship difficulties and gently but steadily enable them to find their own route to a positive outcome.

Those who apply to become a Marriage Care counsellor come from a wide range of backgrounds, but all share a genuine desire to help people in distress.

We are currently seeking applications from qualified counsellors (Level 4 Diploma in counselling or above) who have completed at least 100 counselling hours and would like to extend their skills in couple relationship counselling. We offer a ‘fast-track’ programme leading to our Certificate in Relationship Counselling (CRC).

In return, we ask that you commit to delivering 84 hours of counselling a year, for a minimum of three years, after you have completed your couples counselling training with Marriage Care. That’s just two hours of your time per week – two hours that could make a tremendous difference to the lives of couples and individuals in your community.

The course costs us in the region of £4,000 per person but because you are going to be long-term volunteers with us we only ask for a fee of £800 towards the cost of your training, this is payable in full before the course commences. Marriage Care will reimburse your reasonable course travelling expenses.

Placements at Marriage Care

Unfortunately, due to a lack of resources, Marriage Care is unable to offer counselling placements to students on external courses. The BACP has a placement data base (for BACP student members only) which might be helpful.

However we would most warmly welcome an application from you when you have completed your studies and delivered at least 100 hours supervised counselling.

For further information

If you are interested in becoming a relationship counsellor with us, please download the ”Available documents” on this page for more information or email, to make further enquiries.

How to apply

Please read through the information in the ”Available downloads”, this provides more information about Marriage Care, the CRC training and the commitment that you will be required to make.

Please submit applications to join our Certificate in Relationship Counselling course (CRC) as soon as possible to The initial recruitment phase can take a long time and therefore early submission will give our centre volunteers ample time to process your application and conduct initial interviews.

Click here to return to the list of roles for volunteers.

I was delighted to be selected for training, though a little worried about whether I would be OK. Six years on, I am now thinking of training as a supervisor. I have found the work tough at times, but thoroughly rewarding, seeing couples and individuals in deep distress or fear gradually coming through this. It has been an education for me, and a privilege. (Susan)”


Available downloads